An airstrike hit a hospital supported by Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) in Yemen yesterday, the global humanitarian group said, killing at least 11 people including children and wounding at least 19.
Tamim al-Shami, spokesman for the Houthi-controlled Health Ministry, said the strike on the hospital supported by Doctors Without Borders in the northern town of Abs was one of many attacks on civilians carried out by Saudi "aggressors".
'Once again, today we witness the tragic consequences of the bombing of a hospital, ' said Teresa Sancristóval, desk manager for the MSF Emergency Unit in Yemen.
The bombing comes two days after a Saudi-led coalition airstrike hit a Koranic school in an enclave of the northern city of Saada, killing 10 children and wounding 28.
Dozens of air strikes have hit civilians in Yemen since a coalition of Arab states led by Saudi Arabia began military operations in March 2015 to restore President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to power and roll back gains by the Iran-allied Houthis.
It had been closed since last Tuesday, when the coalition resumed air strikes around Sanaa following the breakdown of UN-brokered peace talks between the Yemeni government and rebels.
The U.S. State Department is "deeply concerned" about the reported hospital strike and is conferring with Saudi officials about civilian casualties, said spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau.
It promised to publicly announce findings of the probe.
The 14-member coalition that was formed by Saudi Arabia - the Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT) - announced that they started an investigation on the bombing of the Abs hospital after global condemnation.
The United Nations says more than 6,500 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since last March and more than 80 per cent of the population needs humanitarian aid.
Since the conflict started 17 months ago, MSF - one of the few global organizations operating in Yemen - has had a presence in 11 hospitals and health care centers and has provided support to 18 hospitals around the country.
Saudi Arabia said the school it targeted was a "training camp" for child soldiers, suggesting it was not the coalition's responsibility that children were killed.
"This investigation will be independent and will follow global standards".
The Saudi-led military coalition did not issue a statement about the airstrike on Tuesday.
Haq reiterated Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's condemnation Sunday of the airstrike on a school in Saada governorate in north Yemen on Saturday that killed at least 10 children and injured many more.
The conflict has devastated already impoverished Yemen.
The coalition's spokesman on Tuesday accused the Houthis of using the three months of negotiations to rearm.
Two were carrying World Food Programme (WFP) and Red Cross employees, while a Russian plane brought in humanitarian aid, he said.
The Sanaa-based civil aviation authority Tuesday said passenger flights to the airport remained suspended, affecting 7,632 Yemenis, including 3,700 stranded overseas.
The government also said Tuesday that its forces had succeeded in routing Al Qaeda militants from Abyan Province.