EpiPen offers a My EpiPen Savings Card for savings.
Kirsten Hess has an 11-year-old daughter, Madeleine with a life threatening allergy to peanuts and tree nuts, "Which means if she accidentally ingested a little bit of protein of those nuts she could go into anaphylaxis and cause her death".
Though the actual medication inside of an EpiPen can be manufactured for only a few dollars, pharmaceutical company Mylan has been able to raise prices about 400 percent ever since acquiring the brand in 2007.
Compare that to 2009, when the bill was about $100 for the same two-pack of EpiPen.
The cost of saving your child's life has gotten a lot more expensive.
The coupons are worth up to $100. That's what happened past year to the main competition for EpiPens, made by Amsterdam-based Mylan.
Parents who have high deductibles have to pay out of pocket for things like EpiPens, which can now cost more than $500 just for one box that contains two devices. The epinephrine that EpiPens are filled with only costs a few dollars.
The prices have "changed over time to better reflect important product features and the value the product provides", Mylan said in a statement, according to NBC News.
The costs are dramatically rising for a life-saving drug millions of people with severe allergies depend on. "So no matter the price, so we are going to have to pay for it". Last month, a 20-year-old named Morgan from the University of Denver told The Denver Post that it makes the most financial sense to use his current EpiPens as backup devices during his semester overseas even though they will expire while he is away.
First responders have also expressed outrage on social media saying volunteer fire companies have to cover the costs of carrying around EpiPens. They are looking for alternatives.
On Thursday, Senator Bernie Sanders posted on his public Facebook account about a particularly greedy and egregious sin by Big Pharma - hiking the price of life-saving EpiPens by more than 500% in 8 years. Owing to these steps, a rise has come in the percentage of people using the device. And without a safety net, some parents will tremble at the thought of their children being stung or accidentally ingesting their allergen.