Pre-roll ads will run against the content and a portion of the ad revenue shared with creator.
YouTube typically gives 55% of the revenue to the creators and keeps the other 45%, Twitter is going to use the same ratio they use for other partners like NFL: Keep 30% of the profits and give 70% to the content creators, according to Recode.
YouTube has long offered its video stars a cut of revenue.
The service was already paying big entities like the National Football League, but this deal is aimed at YouTube-style creators. This time, they are aiming to bring video creators from YouTube to the platform, hoping to bring the huge audiences with them.
Creators will also be able to work with Niche, a provider of software, community and monetization services that Twitter acquired a year ago.
In a June interview, Jeremy Rishel, Twitter's head of creative products, said the company wanted to reach out to video creators, because they have historically used Twitter to link to their YouTube work-now they can show their wares in the tweet as well, and get compensated. In addition to a unified media library that displays all of an account's videos, GIFs, and images, they also include the ability to schedule tweets and ensure stable and efficient uploads. Niche now works with 35,000 creators worldwide together with advertisers to develop "authentic and resonating" branded content. It also offers collaboration features that support team workflows. That's particularly true when it comes to live video and Periscope, though this program doesn't apply to those.
"Video is becoming increasingly central to the real-time conversations happening on Twitter - video Tweets on Twitter have increased by over 50% since the beginning of 2016".
Twitter said individual users would also be allowed to share their videos on other platforms. Good for Twitter, but only good for the creator if the Twitter views he or she gains generate as much or more money than the YouTube or Facebook views he or she loses.