The store was ordered to stop selling prepared foods on May 5, but was allowed to reopen and sell prepackaged food items only on May 8 after a California Department of Public Health officer seized four bags of the cheese sauce, according to a Sacramento County inspection report.
37, passed away Monday after being taken off a life support, according to KTVU.
Spokesmen for the state health agency said they did not immediately whether authorities think the contamination occurred at the station or were checking other gas stations and the maker of the cheese sauce.
'You will always be remembered by those you surrounded yourself with, ' Lorena Galindo posted on GoFundMe.
Health officials have confirmed that cheese sauce sold at a gas station in California was contaminated with the same type of botulism toxin as victims of a deadly outbreak, but there are no plans for a recall.
"While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety", she said in the statement.
One of at least 10 people apparently sickened by nacho-cheese dip sold at a California gas station has died, health officials said Monday.
Symptoms of botulism include double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness.
The CDPH confirms the cheese was removed from sale on May 5 and there is no ongoing risk to the public. Symptoms typically begin to appear around 18 to 36 hours after eating the food.
The mother of three has been fighting to stay alive after eating the cheese sauce. According to Kelly's partner, Ricky Torres, she can not even keep her eyelids open.
The county cited the gas station with failure to protect food from contamination.
Patients with severe botulism may need to be on a ventilator for weeks as well as undergo intensive medical and nursing care for several months.
In 2014, only 161 cases of botulism were confirmed and just 15 of those were food-borne illness. Authorities blamed potato salad made from potatoes that had been canned improperly at home.