Fun fact: Battery-powered fidget spinners can burst into flames. "Right here in this bookcase, I could see the reflection", she said.
Like hoverboards (and really all unregulated devices with batteries) before them, electronic fidget spinners' rush to market and lack of safety standards have nearly certainly increased the risk of unsafe failures such as these. You can report a fidget spinner fire to SaferProducts.gov. She told NBC 25 News that after about 30 minutes of charging, her fidget spinner caught fire.
As the popularity of fidget-spinners has skyrocketed, manufacturers have started selling high-tech Bluetooth-enabled spinners with LED lights and onboard speakers that play music from your smartphone.
Two fidget-spinner fires and explosions have been reported - one in MI and another in Alabama.
A family in Gardendale says their fidget spinner burst into flames after being put on the charger.
"Anytime, you have anything that needs to be charged, we really need to be paying attention to the manufactures of these, doing our research", she said. "But I know there are tons of kids who want to go get them, but if you plug them in, just stay by and make sure it's charged and it doesn't catch". The Carr family from MI experienced a similar issue when they tried to charge their Bluetooth-enabled fidget spinner.
Earlier this week, Kimberly Allums heard her son screaming upstairs in their home.
Although Bluetooth-enabled fidget spinners might look like harmless trinkets, these incidents suggest these devices could prove to be extremely unsafe.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission told Gizmodo: "Never charge a product with batteries overnight while you are sleeping".
These particular fidget spinners require batteries, which are apparently unhappy about being part of this new global craze and are promptly destroying themselves in bemusing displays of conflagration-driven madness.
The CPSC has also cautioned parents of young children that parts of fidget spinners can be easily swallowed after two incidents in Texas and OR in which children were hospitalized after almost choking on parts, according to ABC News.