Just about 11 months after the freaky late-night confrontation that led to Ryan Lochte being charged in Rio with falsely communicating a crime to authorities, an appellate court in Brazil has reportedly dismissed all charges against the gold-medal beefcake.
An appellate court in Brazil has dismissed a case, however, ruling that Lochte did not break the law.
The court ruled that Ryan did not break the law in exaggerating the details of an incident at a gas station during last summer's Olympics.
"We are pleased that the court has finally dismissed the criminal prosecution against Mr. Lochte, while at the same time, appropriately recognizing that he committed no crime", the athlete's attorney Jeff Ostrow said in a statement to the outlet.
The dismissal is due to the fact that Lochte's interview with NBC, in which he made the claim, could not be considered evidence of a false report.
According to Brazilian newspaper Globo, Lochte could still face two charges from the public prosecutor. "And I know that they love Jo, and she gave it her all today", Williams said.
It soon emerged that the group had been obliged by an armed security guard to pay for damage caused to a petrol station after a drunken night of celebration.
"It's been a long suspension but it's over, I've learned and became a better man from it. now let's go #2020 #teamtyr #2020isforyoucaiden #justletmework", Lochte wrote on Instagram alongside a video of his biggest milestones, including last year's Rio scandal.
An investigation by USA Today Sports found Lochte had exaggerated the incident, but the base of his story was true.
Lochte was set to compete in the Los Angeles Invitational Thursday, but annouced he would not participate because of the recent birth of his son.