An Australian teen from Melbourne Australia was having fun at the beach when he was attacked. The exact cause is a bit of a mystery, but tiny sea crustaceans may be to blame. What happened next was unexpected.
"I walked out and saw what I thought was sand covering my ankles and lower calf and shook it off...and by the time I'd walked across the sand about 20 meters to put my thongs on, I looked down and noticed I had blood all over my ankles", Kanizay told ABC News.
"I collected these odd creatures from the same spot last night by trapping them in a net and standing in the water myself", he told the BBC.
"There was no stopping the bleeding".
"We stood still for 10 minutes so it may not have happened if we moved about, but I wouldn't want to stand still there for a couple of hours or it may get quite bad".
A spokesperson for Monash Health, which oversees Dandenong Hospital where Sam was sent to, said they are still assessing the patient and it could be too early for his doctor to comment on his case.
On Monday, footage taken by Sam's father Jarrod Kanizay showed a sample of the amphipods swarming around pieces of steak. So Jarrod went back to the beach the following night with a pool net full of meat and captured the animals he believes could have been responsible. He collected thousands of the mites, each about 2 millimeters long, according to the Post. He made a decision to videotape this occurrence and post it online of YouTube.
It's the stuff of nightmares - you go in for a quick swim at the beach, and walk out with bites all over your ankles that won't stop bleeding. The name is broadly used to describe small external, parasitic crustaceans that feed on skin and blood or the larvae of jellyfish.
Doctors and scientists say sea lice, also known as marine isopods, were the culprits. Most amphipods are herbivores while others are omnivorous scavengers and "some non-parasitic ones are particularly fond of blood if available".
"As soon as we wiped them (his legs) down, they kept bleeding", he said.
Experts said the amphipods had no venomous properties and would not cause lasting damage.
But how likely is it that it could it be flesh-eating sea lice? The boy named Sam Kanizay was at Melbourne's Brighton Beach to soak in his legs in the water after a game of football.
"The situation is really unusual and I don't think it's something people should be concerned about".
"There's no need to stay out of the water", Reina wrote.