Almost 100 soldiers will be in Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, across the border from Champlain, New York, on Wednesday to set up the tents and add to temporary facilities already organised by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and Canadian Border Services Agency. The site has become a popular crossing spot in recent months, with hundreds of people a day making the easy trip over a shallow ditch that connects both countries.
Such Haitian asylum seekers also face an uncertain future in Canada, however, because Ottawa's own program granting temporary refuge after the natural disaster has already ended, after being extended twice by the Trudeau government.
With the Trump administration's immigration crackdown this has led thousands of asylum seekers to cross the border through unofficial crossings such as the Roxham Road in St-Bernard-de-Lacolle.
The camp is being built in anticipation of a large influx of asylum seekers from the USA, said Stéphane Malépart, a spokesperson for Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
"Around 250 asylum seekers are arriving each day in Montreal, the largest city in Canada's mainly French-speaking province of Quebec", Reuters reported on Wednesday.
Authorities have responded by opening additional welcome centres. "They're all in a bad situation".
The refugee camp would be able to house up to 500 people and would be built in Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Quebec.
The military-built camp would house hundreds of asylum seekers in heated tents fitted with flooring and electricity while they waited for their refugee applications to be processed, a statement from the military said.
"We're going to set up lighting as well, and heating and we're going to have flooring installed". All but a few will return to their home base once the site is completed. Those who remain on site will be tasked with maintaining Canadian forces equipment. The flow continues at a steady pace, according to Canadian officials. In May, the Trump administration threatened to pull the plug on a longstanding humanitarian program, potentially exposing as many as 58,000 Haitians to deportation.
In the United States, the Trump administration is considering ending a program that granted Haitians so-called "temporary protected status" following the massive natural disaster that struck Haiti in 2010.
In May, then-DHS Secretary John Kelly announced TPS for Haitians would be extended one more time, until January 2018, with a strong indication that this will be the final extension.
The Canadian military has begun setting up tents near the U.S. border to house a growing number of refugees from the United States.
The Canadian immigration ministry responded to the rumours on its Facebook page last week, noting that messages posted online suggesting Canada is inviting people to seek refugee status are incorrect.