Both teams will be looking to bounce back this week as teams that start the year 0-2 rarely have success in making the playoffs or reaching the Super Bowl. Each time, they went on to win the Super Bowl.
The Saints made five trips into the red zone, with four of them being inside the 10-yard line and of those four trips, they could only manage three field goals and a touchdown, that came in the final two minutes of the game when the score was basically out of reach.
"You know what?" Brees started. His showdown with New England's Tom Brady should be fun to watch. Obviously we know what [Travis] Kelce is as a tight end - arguably one of the best tight ends in the league. He is angry, and you do not want to see Brady when he is angry. At one point he even took a snap as quarterback in the shotgun. "We're trying to find the things that we do well, and we're trying to find the things that we don't do well".
For the Patriots to emerge victorious, Brady said there can be no repeat of the particularly bad effort they offered in the second half against the Chiefs. Alex Smith, the top pick of the San Francisco 49ers in 2005, has had himself a very good, but far from great career to date.
Overall, the Patriots' passing offense didn't do well. "I'm focusing on the guys that I'm playing with, and that's all that I can do".
New England's defense was abysmal in a 42-27 home loss to the Kansas City Chiefs to open the season, as the defending Super Bowl champs disappointed backers as eight-point home favorites. Since then, the spread has climbed to 7 points and the total to 54.5 with 63% of the bettors favoring the Patriots and the remaining 37% for the Saints.
In the Saints' loss to the Vikings, they allowed 346 passing yards to Sam Bradford.
There are all kinds of reasons to believe the Saints' performance on defense vs. the Vikings was anything but aberrational. But on Monday night they struggled, albeit against one of the better defensive units in the NFL. Are some of Brady's other weapons ready to step up in his absence? "The o-lineman that tried to cut him grabbed his legs as he was going forward, and I just told him to move on to the next play'".
"It's a lot of studying", Dorsett said. "I think I'm doing well with what they're throwing at me".
Brandin Cooks had a fine debut with the Patriots, catching three balls for 88 yards. As soon as the final whistle blew on Thursday, he said he could feel the sense of urgency to right the ship set in immediately.
"I just love the time I've had with him", Brady said on a teleconference Wednesday.
"Personally I didn't think it was flagrant", Klein said. In three seasons with New Orleans, he caught 215 passes for 2,861 yards and 20 TDs. Unfortunately for Drew Bree and the Saints, they're the ones standing in his way. Brady was sacked three times, but twice during the team's freaky final offensive drive when trailing by 15.