Officials said the corporate affairs ministry had asked the Indian Banks' Association to get the information from members on the operations of 209,000 companies struck off the register but the 13 banks had directly shared the information individually with the government.
The Ministry of Finance today said that the government has received vital information from 13 banks about post-demonetisation transactions of some of 2,09,032 suspicious companies.
Some of these suspicious accounts have been struck off the Registrar of Companies (RoC) earlier this year, the government said.
Some of these companies had over 100 accounts to their names.
The government said these companies having multiple accounts with miniscule or negative balance as on November 8, 2016, went on to deposit and withdraw amounts going in several crores from these accounts. Similarly Maa Tara Ispat Pvt Ltd had only Rs 6,781 in one of its accounts till November 8, 2016, but deposited and withdrew over Rs 6 crore during demonetisation till strike off. Maa Tara Ispat also deposited Rs 6.2 crore in another account and withdrew Rs 6.8 crore during the same period. But from November 9, 2016, that is, after the announcement of demonetisation, and till the date of them being struck off, these companies together deposited a huge sum of Rs. 4,573.87 crore. "With loan accounts, there was a negative opening balance of Rs 80 crore", it said. The data on pre-demonetisation accounts and transactions conducted during the cash ban period is "startling", it stated.
They subsequently deposited Rs 4,573 crore and withdrew Rs 4,552 crore. There are other companies that even have 900 accounts in their name. These companies and their colleagues have played a big game of money, only a peak in the range of corruption, black money, and black rackets. From having a cumulative balance of about ₹13 crore as on November 8, 2016, these companies deposited and withdrew about ₹3,800 crore, leaving a cumulative negative balance of nearly ₹200 crore at the time of the freezing of their accounts.
Mumbai: The government on Friday released data on companies that had done suspicious transaction activities in the aftermath of demonetisation on November 8 previous year that stipulated RBI to take back legal tender status of Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 currency notes. The special thing is that these figures are about 2.5% of those suspected companies whose registrations have been canceled by the government.
At Bank of Baroda one company had 915 accounts, while another had 313. "This is undoubtedly a major breakthrough in the fight against black money and shell companies", the government said.