Both the Australian and Chinese governments have been informed about the new search effort and the ongoing negotiations with Ocean Infinity, DCA said.
USA marine exploration company Ocean Infinity says it's made "good progress" on a deal to restart the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370, but the contract hasn't been finalized.
The statement says that Ocean Infinity will look for the lost Boeing 777-200ER in yet unsearched area where it is believed the aircraft could be.
Ocean Infinity was chosen over Dutch explorer Fugro and Malaysia's TMS.
However late past year the Minister for Infrastructure, Darren Chester, said any resumption of the search required precise identification of the final resting place of the wreckage.
Ocean Infinity, which said in a statement that "good progress has been made" in negotiating the contract, claims it has the world's largest and most advanced commercial fleet of underwater vehicles for conducting searches. Australia helped lead the hunt for the plane in remote waters west of the country.
The Malaysian plane disappeared with 239 people on board on March 8, 2014, around 40 minutes after it took off from Kuala Lumpur en route to Beijing, when someone turned off the communication systems and turned the plane around, according to an official investigation.
"We wish to also inform that at this juncture, the Malaysian Government has yet to arrive into an agreement with Ocean Infinity for the search of MH370 as widely reported in the media recently".
A massive maritime search operation for the plane cleared 120,000 sq km at an estimated cost of about A$200m (£120m; €133m), before it was suspended in January.
MH370 was carrying passengers and crew from 14 different countries when it disappeared, most from China and Malaysia.
Malaysia received three proposals to undertake the new search.
"While I am hopeful of a successful search, I'm conscious of not raising hopes for the loved ones of those on board".
The ATSB released its two final reports on the search earlier this month.
On 3 October, the Australia Transport Safety Bureau's final report on MH370 stated that the possibility of finding the aircraft are "better now than it has ever been".
The plane parts are thought to have been transported the thousands of miles from the suspected crash arc to Africa by strong Indian Ocean currents.