Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said the missile program was defensive and unrelated to the 2015 nuclear deal that the country signed with the six world leaders, according to a statement published on ministry's website.
Qassemi said the French president and officials know very well that leveling such accusations against Iran is not in conformity with the realities on the ground in the Middle East in recent decades.
U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to pull out of the deal, refusing to recertify that Iran is complying with its obligations and violating the "spirit" of the accord.
They want sanctions reinstated and for Iran to be punished for its illegal ballistic missile program. He added, though, that France was committed to the landmark nuclear deal with Iran, which puts restrictions on Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.
Iran has repeatedly told French officials that the agreement is "not renegotiable and Iran doesn't allow the other sides to annex other issues to it", Qassemi stated.
While aligning with Tehran and other European signatories in opposing Trump's demand for a renegotiation of the deal, France's Macron has talked of a need to engage in talks with Iran to push its missile activities into a restrictive framework. This came after "its [Iran's] Houthi proxy" in Yemen fired a missile towards the Saudi capital last week.
Iran has vehemently ruled out any negotiation on its missile program which it deems as an inseparable plank of its national security, meant for defense and deterrence.
The United States accused Iran on Tuesday of supplying Yemen's Houthis with a missile that was sacked into Saudi Arabia, which has been leading a coalition that has been pounding the Houthi positions in Yemen for more than two and a half years in a campaign to restore the fugitive president Abd-Rabbu Mansur Hadi.