On Monday, the day the ban took effect, about 400 Filipinos who applied to be voluntarily repatriated from Kuwait were flown home. "This is in response to the call for assistance by the government to repatriate Filipino workers in Kuwait".
The Philippines on Monday barred its citizens from traveling to Kuwait for employment, accusing the oil-rich Gulf state of turning a blind eye to the abuse and even killing of domestic workers and other Filipinos.
Bello, in totally banning OFW deployment to Kuwait, said in the order: "In pursuit of national interest, and with the advent of the series of reports involving abuse and death of Overseas Filipino Workers in Kuwait, a total ban on deployment of all Overseas Filipino Workers to Kuwait pursuant to the directive of the President of the Philippines is hereby enforced".
"As to the need for justice, we will hold Kuwait responsible under the concept of state responsibility".
"Under global law, Kuwait has the obligation to provide justice for our countrymen", he said.
No spokesman or diplomat from the Kuwaiti embassy in Manila was immediately available to comment.
Roque said Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello was also working on a mechanism to deploy workers to China as another alternative destination.
Officials added they were eyeing China and Russian Federation as "alternative markets" for overseas workers.
"Every abuse committed against an OFW is an affront against us, as a sovereign nation", he said, and warned he was prepared to ban the deployment of workers there.
Kuwait has declared an amnesty for Filipino workers who overstayed their visas and are working to help some 500 workers stuck in the country after a company refused to pay their salaries, Villa said.
Manila is now rushing the repatriation of an estimated 10,000 OFWs, however, the repatriation of these returning Filipinos were processed long before Duterte ordered the deployment ban.
As many as 10,000 Filipino workers in Kuwait are expected to take up the Philippines government's offer of a free flight home after the body of their compatriot was found stuffed in a freezer.
Demafelis' family lost with her in May 2016, about two years after she arrived in the Middle East, They said she never said anything bad about her employers, but had suspicions she was being watched.
Duterte donated P5,000 to each Filipino worker while the OWWA and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) also handed over P5,000 cash. "But if a ban is what is needed, let it be so", said Duterte.
Demafelis had been tortured and later strangled to death, an autopsy revealed.
The organization said it will present policy recommendations to the President and Secretary Bello III on how to ensure the welfare of OFWs not only in the Gulf state but around the world. I could not stomach it. We do not intend to offend any government or anyone.