But Barcelona authorities have decided not to proceed with a prosecution due to a "lack of proof".
A local court official said: "Investigating Court Of Instruction Number Two in Barcelona dealt with the case".
"The court of instruction number two in Barcelona dealt with the case but the magistrate made a decision to provisionally archive the case because there wasn't sufficient evidence to press charges against the players", the court communications officer told ESPN FC.
Police were called by the hotel and the taxi driver, who was reunited with his vehicle at about 08:00. Police confirmed the taxi had been returned to its owner.
All four players apologised for breakinga club imposed curfew and being involved in an "incident".
Mossos d'Esquadra - Catalonia's regional police force - previously told BBC Sport the four wanted to go out in Barcelona, but found everything closed so took a taxi to a 24-hour fast-food restaurant.
The four players were accused of taking the auto from a McDonald's drive-through restaurant while their driver was collecting food for them, and then abandoning it outside the five-star hotel where they were staying.
"The driver got out to collect the order and one of the men got behind the wheel". I didn't learn they were rich footballers until later.
The club management said earlier Friday that an internal investigation of the episode was underway, providing neither a description of the events nor the names of the players, reports Efe.