John McEntee, the former UConn quarterback whose trick shot video became a viral sensation in 2011, was sacked from his job as personal assistant to President Donald Trump on Monday, according to multiple reports.
While he was sacked on Monday from his job in the White House, McEntee is staying in politics even as he's reportedly being investigated for crimes. The alleged crimes are said to not be related to Trump.
"I have been warning for more than a year about the White House's deficient background check process as well as specific officials who have been granted access to our nation's most closely guarded secrets, despite derogatory information known to White House officials", Mr Cummings wrote.
Mr McEntee was escorted from the White House on Wednesday (AEDT) after news broke the assistant had been denied security clearance.
As for McEntee, he has not completely left the Trump orbit because he is headed to work for the Trump 2020 campaign.
But the faithful Trump aide didn't go far as he was immediately hired by the President's reelection campaign team.
John McEntee was unceremoniously removed from his position because the Department of Homeland Security is investigating him for "serious financial crimes", CNN reported, citing an unidentified source familiar with his termination. But it was another turbulent day in the Trump White House, in more ways than one.
"We don't comment on personnel issues", White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders told the Journal. That raises all sorts of questions about vetting within the White House and the Trump campaign, issues that came up during the campaign itself and the transition in late 2016-early 2017.
His firing marks yet another departure in an executive office marked by a revolving door of hirings and firings and plagued by issues obtaining security clearances. "We need the help of proven leaders such as Katrina [Pierson] and John to promote the President's growing portfolio of achievements across the country".