The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed the pleas filed by three of the four men convicted in the Delhi gangrape case, seeking a review of the court's verdict upholding their death penalty for the brutal sexual assault on a 23-year-old paramedic student on 16 December, 2012. Convicts can not be allowed to re-argue a case in the guise of a review plea, said the court.
The judgement was pronounced on a review petition filed by three out of the four convicts against a May 2017 order of the apex court, which had upheld the death sentence of the convicts.
". It took the court one year to review the petitions". But what next? So much time has gone by & threat to women have gone up in this span.
The six-strong gang beat the man unconscious before raping and torturing Singh with an iron bar as the private bus drove loops through the Indian capital.
"Our struggle does not end here".
Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) Chairperson Swati Maliwal also welcomed the development even as she questioned the six-year delay in dispensing justice in the case. It's affecting other daughters of the society. "They were not juveniles". The youngest accused, just days short of 18 when he committed the crime, had been sent to a juvenile home. "This decision reaffirms our trust in the court that we will definitely get justice", Asha Devi added.
Rohan Mahajan, the lawyer representing the family of the gang-rape victim, said it was a "victorious moment".
She also said that their faith in the judiciary has been reinstated. "We are satisfied today". "The only request to the Central govt is to expedite whatever process is to follow now".
Five men and a juvenile had lured the 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist and her male friend on to a bus in New Delhi on December 16, 2012, before repeatedly raping the woman and beating both with a metal bar and dumping them on a road. She later succumbed to her injuries in a hospital in Singapore on December 29, 2012 after she was taken there for treatment.
The apex court said the death row convicts had failed to point out "error apparent on the face of record" in the verdict. While one accused, Ram Singh, killed himself in jail on 11 March 2013, the remaining four were awarded death penalty by a Delhi court on 10 September, 2013. "Instead, the government must allocate adequate resources for the effective implementation of laws, improve conviction rates and ensure certainty of justice in all cases", Asmita Basu, Amnesty International India's Programmes director, said.