Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) in Washington, U.S., May 16, 2018.
ZTE's revival was initially set in motion by President Trump, who vowed to help the company get "back into business" via Twitter back in May.
A short time ago, ZTE was forced to shut down more than half of its operations in the U.S after the U.S Department of Commerce banned the company from importing US-made components.
ZTE, which makes smartphones and networking gear, signed an agreement with the United States on Thursday that paved the way for it to resume operations after a almost three-month ban on doing business with American suppliers. White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said last month Trump agreed to lift the ban as a goodwill gesture to Chinese President Xi Jinping. ZTE pleaded guilty previous year over the sanctions violations.
ZTE was recently allowed to resume some sales in the USA earlier this month, after paying a fine, replacing their entire executive board, and hiring a US affiliated monitor for business operations moving forward.
The June settlement also required ZTE to change its board and management, and to allow the USA government unfettered site visits to verify US components are being used as claimed.
It will now operate with a 10-year suspended ban hanging over its head, which the United States can activate if it finds new violations.
The Commerce Department said Friday that these measures were the "harshest penalties and strictest compliance measures ever imposed in such a case".
Lawmakers have expressed concern that removing the company's seven-year restriction on receiving parts from US suppliers could pose national security risks.
A group of lawmakers in the U.S are now pushing for a legislation that wants to restore much harsher penalties concerning these "serious threats to U.S national security". The Senate passed legislation last month included in a military spending bill that would block ZTE from buying component parts from the United States. It also broke news of the ban in April.