These bacteria thrive in warm, salty water, which is why infections tend to happen more in the summer.
As per the Florida Health Department, the illness was caused as a result of the Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, which can be contracted due to eating raw shellfish, especially oysters or by exposing any of the open wounds to the seawater.
This is the first confirmed case and death from Vibrio vulnificus in Sarasota County this year. However, the department did not reveal the name of the restaurant.
There is an investigation protcol in place that notifies the restaurant and determines the batch where the oyster came from so that sale of that specific batch can be stopped. According to the sources, the 71-year-old man consumed the contaminated oysters on July 8 and died two days later, on July 10. The particular type of bacterial in question is not considered flesh-eating.
Vibrio vulnificus is a rare disease but infections will lead to vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the departments website.
The illness was caused by Vibrio vulnificus, officials said. The county did not have any vibrio cases a year ago but there were confirmed cases and one death in 2016.
While Vibrio vulnificus is sometimes known as 'flesh-eating bacteria, ' the label is misleading because humans with healthy skin are not at risk. Manatee County has had one case of flesh eating bacteria so far in 2018, but no fatalities.
Others who should avoid consuming raw shellfish are those with hemochromatosis (iron overload), diabetes, cancer, stomach disorders or any illness or treatment that weakens the immune system.
Suspected cases of Vibrio vulnificus need to be immediately treated with antibiotics to improve their survival.