According to court papers, Ms. Chung was reportedly in the elevator of her building when she found that her Note 9 became "extremely hot" so she ceased using the phone and placed it inside her purse. That may now be in jeopardy after a woman in the US has claimed that her Galaxy Note 9 caught fire inside her purse. However, a month later, a fresh report has now surfaced, with a woman claiming that her brand new Galaxy Note 9 burst into flames inside her purse. Moments later, she heard a "whistling and screeching sound" and saw that there was thick smoke emerging from the bag.
Chung says she became "extremely panicked" because she was alone in the elevator.
This incident occured only ten days after the Galaxy Note 9 series went on sale on August 24. "Chung put the bag on the elevator floor and tried to empty it, burning her fingers as she grabbed the smoking Samsung, the suit says". Calling the experience "traumatic", Chung's lawsuit states that she was unable to call clients, while the Samsung flagship also ruined the contents of her bag.
While Samsung allowed owners of the recalled devices to swap their old units for newer, "safer" ones, reports of overheating and spontaneously combusting phones continued, with one incident supposedly taking place while the phone was powered off and unplugged inside an airplane.
In the next cycle, Samsung released the Galaxy Note 8. "Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore".
"We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter", a Samsung spokesman was quoted as saying, the New York Post said.
In brief: With the recent launch of the Galaxy Note 9, Samsung probably thought it had left the exploding battery nightmare of the Note 7 in the past, but that might not be the case. Either way, this doesn't mean the Galaxy Note 9 is faulty in any way, and we haven't seen any other Note 9 fire reports for the time being.