An obituary in Tuesday morning's Sydney Morning Herald read that his "army of friends" were there at the end.
Mr Ballard died on Friday night at the age of 29.
"Sam was a true battler and hero to his younger brother Joshua and sister Melanie".
Throughout the many struggles with his health, Sam's friends were still by his side and frequently visited him over the years. "Katie tells me the room was so full of love".
'That's awful, my son shared his room with him at the Ryde rehabilitation centre.
Sam Ballard (centre) with friends. (Supplied) Aged 19 Mr Ballard ate a garden slug at a party as a joke, and was paralysed.
"The conversation came up: 'Should I eat it?' Off Sam went".
"And I went 'Hmmm no, no one gets sick from that, '" the mother said in an interview earlier this year. That's how it happened'.
As Sam swallowed that slug and slug was infected with rat lungworm as when slugs eat rat faeces, they also become infected. In an unusual and tragic turn, the parasite infested Ballard's brain - putting him into a coma for more than a year and leaving him paralyzed, according to News.com.au.
Sam, the boy incident is based on, he was given a dare in which he has to swallow a slug which was coming close to them.
The turning point in Ballard's life came when a friend noticed a slug crawling across the garden, and dared him to eat it. Don't let the guilt of the role you played destroy your lives, your mate wouldn't have wanted that'.
"Rest In Peace, Sam, and blessings to his family, especially his mum and all the carers out there", says another. Hopefully your friends will keep visiting your mum and family in the coming years.
Ballard had been a talented rugby player.
Katie Ballard, Sam's mother, described how hard life had been for Sam.
Katie Ballard with her son Sam Ballard pose during a photo shoot in Sydney, New South Wales on February 22, 2018.
'Sam is doing really well.
Later, she wrote that "he is still the same cheeky Sam, and laughs a lot" but admitted "it's devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever". He will walk and talk again but the time factor is what we don't know, ' she wrote.
She said the disease had caused him to have seizures, and left him unable to control his body temperature.