A man went on a stabbing spree in the centre of Melbourne after apparently setting a auto alight, killing one person and bringing the city to a standstill.
Ashton said, however, that police did not believe there were any ongoing threats to the public.
"Three people have been stabbed, unfortunately one of them is deceased at the scene", he said. Police shot the male in the chest and he is now in a critical condition under guard at hospital. -- 9:35 p.m. Australian police say a pickup truck that caught fire in the country's second-largest city contained several barbeque gas cylinders and was part of an apparent terrorist attack.
Speaking with media this morning, Police Commissioner Graham Ashton said that Khalif was known "at the national level" as well as to state police, adding that he had a "prior criminal history" related to drug and driving offenses.
The incident occurred on a section of the busy street that is closed to traffic.
Police said the man is a 20-year-old citizen with Somalian parents.
Videos and photos shared on Twitter showed a burning auto and police officers in an altercation with the man clad in black.
Police shot the man when he approached officers swinging the knife.
Video from the scene showed a man swinging a knife at two police officers near a burning auto before he was shot.
Two survivors were rushed to hospital for treatment - one in a suspected critical condition. It is unknown whether it came from the vehicle or was police gun fire.
Another bystander told AAP he was walking on Swanston Street when he heard an explosion and then saw a "big dude punching into the police car".
Victoris Premier Daniel Andrews described Friday's attack as "evil" but said the city would not be bowed.
Police urged witnesses to provide them with mobile phone footage of the incident.
Bourke Street Mall, a pedestrian strip and shopping area popular with foreign tourists including Japanese, was previously the scene of auto rampage in 2017 that left six people dead.