US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said he would travel to the border area on Wednesday.
Tijuana, in the Mexican state of Baja California, is just 17 miles from the Californian city of San Diego.
Photo There are thousands more migrants expected to arrive, like the group seen here in Sinaloa.
Undeterred by a harder United States stance against them, the migrants have said they will continue the journey so that they can claim asylum.
Several thousand more migrants in at least three caravan groups are making their way through Mexico toward the border.
The migrant caravan, consisting mostly of Honduran citizens, recently resumed its journey through Mexico towards the U.S. border after a several-day-long stop in the country's capital.
Trump also followed through on his threat to issue a presidential proclamation barring migrants caught crossing into the USA illegally from being eligible to claim asylum in America. Tijuana's head of migrant services said the group arrived Tuesday and immediately went to a stretch of border fence to celebrate.
The closures come after about 1,100 troops have been deployed to the border to assist border officials.
Numerous smaller group are LGBTIQ, media reported, who say they parted ways with the main caravan after weeks of what they call discriminatory treatment by local residents and fellow travellers.
In Playas de Tijuana on Monday morning, a buzz of activity surrounded a normally quiet, well-to-do residential street where caravan members have been staying in a house that unidentified supporters have been renting out for them.
The migrants insist they are simply seeking a better future away from Central America's "Northern Triangle" - El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, poor countries where gang violence has fueled some of the highest murder rates in the world.
Mexico has offered refuge, asylum or work visas, and its government said Monday that 2,697 temporary visas had been issued to individuals and families to cover them during the 45-day application process for more permanent status.
On Nov. 12, several northbound vehicle lanes at San Ysidro and one lane at Otay Mesa were closed so the USA military could install razor wire and other measures to harden the entry point in preparation for the migrant caravan. Some 533 migrants had requested a voluntary return to their countries, the government reported.
President Trump, who described the caravan as an "invasion", ordered the troop deployment ahead of last week's midterm elections.
Three northbound lanes will be closed at San Ysidro and another lane at Otay Mesa will also be closed to install "port hardening infrastructure equipment", the agency said in a statement.