A suicide auto bombing followed by an armed assault killed at least two people and wounded many more outside police headquarters in the port city of Chabahar in restive southeastern Iran on Thursday.
Press TV quoted Rahmdel Bamari, governor of Sistan and Balochestan province, as saying that an "explosive-laden vehicle" targeted the police post on Thursday.
Chabahar lies some 100 kilometres (60 miles) west of the Pakistan border and is home to a large Balochi community which straddles the two countries.
There was no immediate claim of responsiblity for the attack.
State TV also aired footage of smoke rising over the city.
Ground Force Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour told semi-official Tasmin News Agency such a "blind terrorist attack" would achieve no results.
State authorities did not identify who was behind the attack.
Foreign Office Spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal, in a tweet message had strongly condemned the terrorism in Iran's port city of Chahbahar.
Sistan-and-Baluchestan - which borders Pakistan - has suffered several terror attacks targeting both civilians and security forces over the past years.
Last year, in the first deadly assault claimed by Islamic State in Tehran, 18 people were killed at the parliament and mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic.
"Foreign-backed terrorists kill & wound innocents in Chabahar".
Pakistan strongly condemns terrorist auto bomb attack in Chahbahar in brotherly neighbouring Iran that has taken lives of 3 innocent people while injuring others. "Iran will bring terrorists and their masters to justice", he said on his Twitter account. Ansar al-Furqan is known to operate in Iran's southeastern Sistan and Baluchistan Province, which sees occasional attacks by Baluch separatists and drug traffickers. "There can be no justification for any act of terror", an MEA statement said.
Chabahar is also the site of a port complex, which is being developed in cooperation with India as part of a new transportation corridor for landlocked Afghanistan.