Philip was driving a Range Rover on January 17, when his vehicle and a Kia collided close to the Sandringham Estate. Two women in the other auto were hurt, though not seriously, and a nine-month-old boy was unharmed.
The Duke was photographed driving again two days later, without a seatbelt.
Norfolk Police are reported to have given him "suitable words of advice" after images were published showing him back behind the wheel of a replacement Freelander on the Queen's Sandringham estate. It said an investigation file on the case had been handed to prosecutors, who will decide whether to press charges.
One lawyer had previously suggested the duke could avoid any potential prosecution for driving without due care and attention by giving up his licence.
Norfolk Police confirmed today that the prince had "voluntarily surrendered his license to officers".
He gave up his licence on Saturday, a spokeswoman added.
The female driver received minor injuries and the female passenger received a broken wrist when their auto was flung off the road and into bushes by the impact.
Philip also wished Fairweather a "speedy recovery from a very distressing experience".
The sun was blamed for hindering his vision and he wrote he was "very contrite about the consequences" of the collision.
Just two days after the crash, the Duke was spotted driving without a seatbelt, sparking widespread backlash.
The crash sparked a debate as to whether Prince Philip should still be driving at his age.
The Queen, a trained military driver during World War II, is said to have shocked Saudi Arabia's late King Abdullah - then crown prince - by climbing into the driver's seat and taking him for a ride around her estate during a visit to Britain in 1998.