American biologist Darrell Blatchley, director of the D' Bone Collector Museum which helped conduct a necropsy, said the whale died from starvation and was unable to eat because of the trash filling its stomach.
In a Facebook post, staff at D'Bone Collector Museum called it disgusting, and that it was the most plastic they'd ever seen in a whale.
Marine biologists and volunteers from the D'Bone Collector Museum in Davao city, Mindanao, were shocked to discover the brutal cause of death of the young Cuvier beaked whale, which washed ashore on Saturday, the Guardian reported. Although they're still working on documenting all the contents of the whale's belly, workers say they've so far extracted 88 pounds of plastic, including "16 rice sacks, four banana plantation-style bags, and multiple shopping bags".
He noted that there were so many plastic bags in the animal's stomach that some had begun to calcify.
The museum founder explained that whales "do not drink water from the ocean", and get all the "fresh water" they need from the food they consume, which explains why the whale was suffering from dehydration and starvation at the time of its death.
Plastic waste was recovered from inside the animal.
"If you have 80 plastic bags in your stomach, you die", marine biologist Thon Thamrongnawasawat told Agence France-Presse at the time, adding that the plastic probably prevented the whale from digesting food. Four were pregnant. This can not continue.
"In the last 10 years we have recovered 61 whales and dolphins of which 57 have died due to fishing nets, dynamite fishing and plastic garbage".
The team subsequently took the carcass to its facility and performed a necropsy, which found that it had died from ingesting plastic. "The Philippines needs to change from the children up or nothing will be left". A graphic video shows experts removing the pieces of plastic from inside the whale.