Sudan's ex-president Omar al-Bashir was charged with corruption-related offences on Sunday, as he appeared in public for the first time since he was overthrown and detained in April.
Al Waleed Sayed Ahmed made the announcement on Saturday, two months after the military overthrew and arrested al-Bashir following mass protests against his 30-year rule.
Mr Bashir was driven from a jail in the capital, Khartoum to the prosecutor's office where he was read the corruption charges against him.
Meanwhile, Mahmoud said former president al-Bashir would face trial on corruption accusations next week.
A judicial source said in April that military intelligence had searched Bashir's home and found suitcases loaded with more than $351,000 and six million euros, as well as five million Sudanese pounds.
Talks on a power-sharing deal have collapsed, and tensions soared on June 3 when security forces stormed a protest camp in Khartoum being maintained as a way to press military rulers to hand over power.
Sudan suffered high rates of corruption during Bashir's rule, ranking 172 out of 180 countries in Transparency International's 2018 Corruption Perceptions Index.
In an effort to quell protests that erupted against his rule in December, Bashir imposed a nationwide state of emergency on February 22.
Ahmed also said on Saturday that 41 other charges against "symbols of the ousted regime" were under investigation.
He did not name the others accused but said most of the charges were over the "possession of land".
The military crackdown led to over a hundred deaths as troops opened fire on peaceful protesters.
On Wednesday, the protest movement called off the civil disobedience campaign after the TMC agreed to release "political prisoners", according to an Ethiopian envoy, who said the movement was ready to resume talks with the TMC.
But he said the idea of dispersing the protesters was not discussed.
On Thursday, military council spokesman General Shamseddine Kabbashi expressed "regret" over the crackdown.
Brigadier Abderrahim Badreddine, a spokesperson for the investigative committee, told state television Saturday initial findings indicate that "officers and soldiers of different ranks and regular forces" had entered the sit-in without any orders from their superiors.
"We are actually not in dispute and we are partners in this glorious revolution", General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo said.
He also backed a call for an "independent and credible inquiry" into the crackdown on protesters, saying accounts of victims he had met in Khartoum had been "harrowing".
Opposition-linked medics have said 118 people were killed in the crackdown, while the military council has put the toll at 61.
"We are working hard to take those who did this to the gallows", Hemeti said in a televised speech, according to the AFP news agency.