"I would give anything to have one more day with them".
'I wish I could do today over. It's her mission now, she says, to erect signs about toxic waters and warn pet owners about the blooms. One began have a seizure in 15 minutes, and the others soon after, reports CNN. She rushed them to the veterinarian who revealed there was nothing that could be done for them.
A North Carolina couple lost three of their dogs in a matter of hours on Friday.
On top of that, it can be hard to detect where algae blooms have formed.
"What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives", Martin wrote in a Facebook post that has since been shared more than 15,000 times.
Through a GoFundMe page, the couple is now trying to raise awareness and money to purchase signs that would be placed in front of all local bodies of water contaminated with the bacteria.
Toxic algae blooms typically occur in stagnant, warm waters.
A common enemy likely caused the dogs' deaths: liver failure brought on by ingesting water contaminated with toxic blue-green algae. "They can produce toxins (such as microcystins and anatoxins) that affect people, livestock and pets that swim in and drink from the algae-contaminated water".
Immediate medical intervention is required for animals exposed to the algae.
If a dog gets to a vet before symptoms appear, there is a chance the toxin can be purged from the animal's system.
Veterinarians say once symptoms of poisoning show, it may be too late.
Results from waters samples collected on August 7th from two beaches at the lake, Buck Creek and Island View, tested positive for the toxin microcystin, which is produced by the algae.
The best way to protect your pet from these lethal algal bloom is prevention.
But this algae doesn't just grow in those states.
Exposure to blue/green algae often proves fatal to dogs and although signage should indicate any potential danger, always avoid water that is dull/murky in colour and has an unpleasant smell.