Additionally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued updated recommendations on vaping for the public. Some have narrowly avoided death, but two people, one in IL and another in OR, have died from lung illnesses.
Health officials have said reported cases of the illness across various states appear to be similar, but a lot remains unknown. Minnesota Department of Health Epidemiologist Stacy Holzbauer said officials have interviewed a dozen of the Minnesota victims. The FDA is analysing sample for a broad range of chemicals, including nicotine, THC, other cannabinoids, "cutting agents" that may be used to dilute liquids, other additives, pesticides, opioids, poisons and toxins. But in recent months, an increasing number of people who vape are winding up in hospital with symptoms that include coughing, shortness of breath and fatigue that worsened over time.
According to the Ohio Department of Health, investigations continue into an additional 11 reports of illness following vaping.
Health officials said people who have "recently used vaping products such as e-cigarettes and are having difficulty breathing should seek medical attention immediately".
To avoid possible complications, the FDA says those who vape should not modify or add substances to e-cigarettes and should not buy any such substances off the streets.
Vitamin E acetate is a commonly available nutritional supplement that is not known to cause harm when ingested as a vitamin supplement or applied to the skin.
Vaping was initially advertised primarily to adult smokers, offering them a safer alternative to cigarettes and claiming it could help them quit smoking.
Cotton candy flavored e-liquid on display during Vape Jam UK 2019
"We don't yet know the exact cause of these illnesses - whether they're caused by contaminants, ingredients in the liquid or something else, such as the device itself", says Thomas.
On Wednesday, Oregon officials reported that a middle-aged adult who died of a severe pulmonary illness in late July had used a cannabis product purchased from one of Oregon's state-regulated marijuana stores.
"I hope that people realize that they are not the benign products that they are sometimes advertised to be", she said.
Last week, Cappello confirmed the second vaping case in Colorado.
The federal department said there is no sign in Canada of an affliction reported in as many as 25 American states that seems to be linked to vaping, but it is monitoring the situation.
The parents of a New Lennox teenager, who's said to have almost died from a vaping episode, is set to talk Thursday afternoon.
"Pediatricians are becoming more and more aware that there are hundreds of chemicals found in the aerosols of these products that are harmful", Chadi said.
Patients have revealed the usage of Tetrahydrocannabinol containing e-cigarettes.