Derrickson took to his verified Twitter page to release a statement of his own, stating, 'Marvel and I have mutually agreed to part ways on Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness due to creative differences. "We are grateful to Scott for his contribution to the MCU". The former director of the Doctor Strange sequel, Scott Derrickson had hinted at Nightmare and the other could be either Lilith or Morgan Le Fay. Without a replacement director soon found, it could be hard for the film to reach the announced release date of May 7, 2021.
The first was the departure of Edgar Wright from the first Ant-Man movie.
However, this does shed new light on the film's announcement in Comic-Con previous year when Derrickson told fans it was going to be a horror film, and Marvel Studios' President Kevin Feige basically cut the writer/director off. Despite no longer being the director, Derrickson will still serve as executive producer. Scott Derrickson was the director on the original "Doctor Strange", which hit theaters in October 2016.
Derrickson joins an ever growing list of directors who have parted ways with Marvel over creative control.
He additional said that this choice was exclusively mutual.
In any case, despite this setback, Marvel is eager to tie the cast of the film, with Benedicts Cumberbatch and Wong the only officially confirmed names to return so far, along with Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch.
Before directing Doctor Strange, Derrickson was best known for directing horror movies including Sinister and The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
"Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" should be released on May 7, 2021. In 2018, he resigned from the filming of the television series "Snowpiercer" by Bong Joon Ho, also because of creative differences. Its trippy, mind-bending visuals and time-rewinding shenanigans led it to being a huge critical success and earning $677.7 million worldwide.