Yemen's president condemned on Sunday an attack by Houthi rebels on a government military camp, as authorities said fatalities had risen to at least 79 troops.
A medical source at Marib city hospital, where the casualties were transported, told AFP at least 70 were killed in Saturday's strike.
Al Ekhbariya reported resources suggesting that the assault had been completed utilizing drones and ballistic missiles.
Elsewhere in the Qa'atabah district of Yemen's southwestern province of Dhale, several Saudi-paid militiamen were killed or injured when bomb attacks struck their positions.
The conflict became a regional proxy war months later, when a Saudi-led military coalition intervened to drive out the Houthis and restore the internationally recognised government.
Yemen's Defense Ministry said "the armed forces will remain the solid rock that breaks the ambitions" of Iran's goal of destabilizing security in Yemen and the wider region, according to a statement carried by Yemeni state news agency Saba. Iran features over repeatedly rejected supplying hands to your Houthis, who've been embargoed since 2015.
Iran-aligned Houthis did not immediately claim responsibility for the attack.
The uptick in violence comes shortly after United Nations envoy Martin Griffiths welcomed a sharp reduction in air strikes and the movement of ground forces.
Media captionThe conflict in Yemen has been raging for years - but what is it all about?
The grinding war in the Arab world's poorest country has killed more than 90,000 people, displaced more than three million and pushed the country to the brink of major starvation.
Houthis control swathes of Yemen since they overthrow a Saudi-backed government in late 2014.
The landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 had been hailed as Yemen's best chance so far to end the fighting that has pushed the country to the brink of starvation.