- Angola's former president Jose Eduardo dos Santos has denied links to alleged public company embezzlement during his rule, in his first response to corruption investigators last month freezing his daughter's assets.
Angola's chief prosecutor was quoted by Portugal's Lusa news agency as saying late on Wednesday, before traveling to Lisbon on Thursday, that his office sought dos Santos and other suspects "to voluntarily come to face justice".
Isabel dos Santos has rejected the accusations, claiming she is the victim of a politically motivated persecution, and that her success had nothing to do with the fact that her father was president.
Dos Santos has chose to sell her stake in Portuguese bank Eurobic, the small lender said on Wednesday.
That's over alleged mismanagement and misappropriation of funds while she was chairwoman of state oil firm Sonangol.
"Isabel dos Santos is accused of mismanagement and embezzlement of funds during her tenure at Sonangol", Attorney General Hélder Pitta Grós told a news conference Wednesday evening in the country's capital, Luanda, according to the BBC.
Authorities would like the suspects to come in voluntarily, but worldwide arrest warrants may be considered if they continue to refuse cooperation, Pitta Gros said.
She stopped living in Angola after her father stepped down in 2017 for his anointed successor Lourenco.
The rapidly changing circumstances for Isabel dos Santos, widely known as "Africa's richest woman", is evident by her absence at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland.
More than 120 journalists from 37 media outlets including The New York Times, the Guardian, the BBC, French newspaper Le Monde, and Portuguese newspaper Expresso, then collaborated to review the documents made available from the leak, which spans dos Santos's operations between 1980 and 2018.
Leaked documents alleging the billionaire daughter of Angola's ex-president plundered state coffers to build her fortune have divided the nation.
The former president and father of Isabel Dos Santos, José Eduardo dos Santos, served as Angolan president from 1979 to 2017.
Dos Santos heads a now-endangered empire of more than 400 companies and subsidiaries with interests stretching from Africa to China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Indonesia, operating from financial boltholes whose opaque laws hide them from scrutiny, including Malta, Mauritius and Hong Kong, according to the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project.
The reports were based on more than 700,000 leaked documents.
It was said that their exit would be "as soon as possible" and the Central Bank Bank of Portugal had been informed of the decision.
Dos Santos, who is married to art dealer Sindika Dokolo, is accused of stealing money from mineral-rich Angola and transferring it overseas with the help of unnamed Western firms.
What is Ms Dos Santos accused of?
Portugal's market watchdog has launched inquiries into various firms where Angolan billionaire Isabel dos Santos holds stakes, after Angola's chief prosecutor said she could face an global arrest warrant if she fails to cooperate in a fraud investigation. She didn't say what they're going to talk about. Telecoms firm Unitel is part-owned by dos Santos. At the end of December 2019, the Luanda Provincial Court ordered all domestic assets belong to dos Santos and her husband as well as their business partner Mario Leite da Silva. PwC made more than a million dollars in five years while providing chartered accounting and auditing service.