There is "not a high level of concern" for the statewide spread of coronavirus, said Susan Ringer-Cerniglia of the Washtenaw County Health Department, though health officials do not now know "how efficiently" the virus travels.
Cases of pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus strain have been reported in other countries, including Thailand, Japan, Vietnam, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Macau, Nepal, France, the United States, Canada, and Australia.
She confirmed that the United States has tabled a proposal to evacuate personnel from its Wuhan consulate to the United States. The third case of disease confirmed in the United States, in the state of California.
Two new makeshift hospitals are being built in Wuhan, the provincial capital, and factories are rushing to produce masks and protective clothing.
According to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), a 55-year-old South Korean man who returned from the Chinese city of Wuhan on January 20 tested positive for the new strain of the virus that has killed 80 people so far.
Beijing also postponed the reopening of the city's schools and universities after the Lunar New Year holiday, state radio reported.
The World Health Organization last week stopped short of declaring the outbreak a global emergency, which could have prompted worldwide trade or travel restrictions.
The outbreak has overshadowed the start of the Lunar New Year, which is typically a festive time of year, with public events cancelled and many tourist sites shut.
Another 41 cases have been confirmed overseas, including in Thailand, the United States, and Australia.
Beijing has made a decision to delay the start of classes after the Lunar New Year holiday ends, the official Beijing Daily reported on its website.
Health authorities in Beijing urged people not to shake hands but instead salute using a traditional cupped-hand gesture.
People pass by a poster warming about a new coronavirus at Suseo Station in Seoul, Friday, Jan. 24, 2020. Schools in Hong Kong that are now on Lunar New Year holidays will remain closed until February 17.
The first cases of the virus surfaced last month and are thought to have been transmitted to people via wild animals sold at a food market in Wuhan.
Hong Kong, which has six confirmed cases, will also ban entry from Monday to people who have visited Hubei province in the past 14 days, the city's government said.
Airports around the world have stepped up screening of passengers from China, although some health officials and experts have questioned the effectiveness of such screenings.
While warning the virus seemed be spreading more easily, China's Health Minister Ma Xiaowei said travel restrictions and other strict measures should bring results "at the lowest cost and fastest speed".
Illustrating the extend of disruption to life in China, overall passenger travel declined by almost 29% on Saturday, the first day of the Lunar New Year, from a year earlier, with air passengers down almost 42%, a transportation ministry official said.
Cruise operators including Royal Caribbean Cruises, and Costa Cruises said they had cancelled a combined 12 cruises that had been scheduled to embark from Chinese ports before February 2. Many businesses have closed or asked employees to work from home. Shanghai Disneyland, which expected 100,000 visitors daily through the holiday period, has already closed.