In Hubei province, the epicenter of the deadly virus, 116 more people died on February 13, following the deadliest day in the area since the start of the outbreak on February 12, with a staggering 272 deaths recorded.
By the end of Sunday, 57 confirmed cases including one death had been reported in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), ten confirmed cases in the Macao SAR, and 20 in Taiwan including one death.
The latest cause of concern, however, has been the death of people with no travel history to China.
The number of reported infections ballooned on Thursday last week after Hubei authorities changed their criteria for counting cases, retroactively adding 14,000 cases in a single day.
Global experts have arrived in Beijing and begun meeting with their Chinese counterparts over the epidemic, Tedros said on Twitter.
Increased medical support and preventive measures in Hubei had headed off more critical cases, and the proportion of critical cases among confirmed cases had fallen to 21.6 per cent on Saturday, from 32.4 per cent on Jan 27, Mr Mi said.
The Chinese officials, however, said that the number of new cases appears to have started dropping, saying efforts to control the outbreak have reached the "most crucial stage".
According to World Health Organization, a Chinese tourist suffering from the deadly disease died in France.
"We've seen this spike in the number of cases reported in China, but this does not represent a significant change in the trajectory of the outbreak", he added.
The UN health body has also asked China for more details on how diagnoses are being made.
With the coronavirus outbreak in China continuing to spread, McDonald's Corp, Starbucks Corp and other fast-food companies are ramping up "contactless" pickup and delivery services to keep their workers and customers safe, the companies said. There are also 35 Italians, of which 25 are crew members, including the captain.