Chinese authorities on Monday reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and 105 more deaths, as the military dispatched hundreds of additional medical workers and extra supplies to Wuhan, the central city that has been hardest hit by the 2-month-old outbreak.
New confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus pneumonia outside Hubei Province have been dropping for 12 consecutive days.
"Four categories of people", namely patients confirmed or suspected to be infected with the virus, their close contacts and patients with fever, should be timely treated or placed in quarantine instead of self-isolation at home.
On Jan. 23, Wuhan became the first city to impose an unprecedented halt on outbound transportation.
The number of new cases in the province had been declining since a large spike last week when officials changed their criteria for counting cases to include people diagnosed through lung imaging.
According to the commission, Hubei reported 1,933 new confirmed cases and 100 new deaths on Sunday.
World Health Organisation Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told the Munich Security Conference on the weekend the relatively small amount spent by the world preparing for a virus attack was "dangerously short-sighted".
An global team of World Health Organization experts will arrive in Beijing this weekend for a joint mission with Chinese counterparts.
Meanwhile, there had been no significant increase in the number of new deaths, the commission said. We hope that we have succeeded by giving you the full details and information. Health authorities said the new method would facilitate earlier treatment.
China reported 2,641 new cases in the 24 hours through midnight Friday, raising the country's total to 66,492.
American passenger Matthew Smith said he and his wife were not taking the flights, because the 14-day quarantine for the ship is set to end on Wednesday.
The Americans aboard the Diamond Princess were told to decide whether to stay or take chartered aircraft arranged by the USA government to fly them home, where they would face another 14-day quarantine. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said worldwide experts were now on the ground in China to understand the outbreak and inform the next steps in the global response.
Authorities in Hubei have issued a directive calling for strictest possible round-the-clock control of people's movement at each housing complex and village.
Japan has 415 confirmed cases, including 355 from a quarantined cruise ship, and one death from the virus. The ship's operator, Holland America, said in a statement that while the first results have been reported, "they are preliminary at this point and we are awaiting secondary testing for confirmation".
The letter added that "passengers and crew members (on board the Diamond Princess) are at high risk of exposure" to the virus and the government was therefore "chartering these flights to minimize the risks to your health going forward".
His remarks were published by state media late on Saturday (local time).
A number of local officials have been sacked for their role in mishandling the outbreak.