"As of 24:00 on 18 February 2020, Hubei Province has reported a total of 61,682 cases of new coronary pneumonia, including 44,412 cases in Wuhan".
The death toll now stands at 1,873 while the overall number of confirmed cases has skyrocketed beyond 73,000.
China is confident in achieving economic development targets set for this year, President Xi Jinping told U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson in a phone call, according to China Central Television.
Separately, the United Nations secretary general told The Associated Press that the virus outbreak "is not out of control but it is a very risky situation".
"Those measures on movement restriction have delayed the dissemination of the outbreak by two or three days within China, and two or three weeks outside China", said Sylvie Briand, the WHO's director of global infectious hazard preparedness.
Several countries have banned arrivals from China and major airlines have cut services with the country. Fourteen of them have the virus and were taken to hospitals in California and Nebraska.
The number of new infections ex-Hubei totaled 56 on February 18, down from a peak of 890 on Feb 3.
Ryan was responding to a report published Monday by scientists with the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, showing that patient outcomes in Hubei province are a key driver of the 2.3% case fatality rate they calculated.
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Chinese data "appears to show a decline in new cases" but any apparent trend "must be interpreted very cautiously".
"Our lab is turning them around quicker", Dr. David Williams, chief medical officer of health for the province, told a news conference.
Tuesday's jump in the death toll was also lower than the increase reported Monday, bringing the national number of deaths to 1,868. Health authorities there said the change was meant to get patients treated faster. The majority of fatalities occurred in patients over the age of 50.
The WHO said that other contacts of the confirmed case in Egypt are being traced, and so far, all have tested negative, but will be actively followed up on for 14 days.
The death toll rose to 2,004, with most of the deaths in central Hubei province, where the virus first emerged in December before spiralling into a nationwide epidemic. But Japan, Singapore and South Korea have identified new cases without clear ties to China or previously known patients, raising concern of the virus spreading locally.
Hundreds of cases have been confirmed outside China, with a significant number on a cruise ship quarantined at a port near Tokyo. At least 542 of the passengers tested positive for the virus, drawing criticism from scientists over whether the two-week quarantine aboard the ship was the right move.
The WHO's Mike Ryan said China had success with "putting out the fire" first in Hubei and ensuring that people returning to Beijing from the Lunar New Year holiday are monitored.