A 15-year-old boy has died and dozens of people have been injured after a 5.3 magnitude quake hit Croatia this morning, sparking blazes, cracking buildings and crushing cars under falling slabs of concrete. Some casualties were reported.
The US Geological Survey said the quake measured 5.4, while the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) also reported a 5.3 magnitude, followed by another 5.1 magnitude natural disaster. The epicentre was 4 miles (7km) north of the capital at a depth of 6 miles (10km).
Inside homes, residents shared photos of belongings falling off shelves, broken bottles and glass.
"We have two parallel crisis that contradict each other", Plenkovic said after an emergency meeting of Croatia's top officials.
"My thoughts are with the people of Croatia following the devastating quake this morning". Immediately after the natural disaster happened, Zagreb's head of emergency services, Pavle Kalnic, asked people to help their older neighbors. The authorities told people to observe social distancing due to the pandemic after initially calling on others to help. More than 200 cases have been confirmed in Croatia.
Croatian Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic said at a press conference on Monday that 27 citizens had been injured and that more than 250 objects had been damaged.
"Keep your distance. Don't gather together".
People walk past a damaged house after an natural disaster in Zagreb, Croatia, Sunday, March 22, 2020. He gave only his first name. At least two other temblors were recorded later.
Croatian soldiers wearing masks and carrying shovels could be seen helping efforts to clear the damage on the streets of Zagreb.