With nearly 80% of Ontario's COVID-19 deaths occurring in the province's long-term care facilities, it's obvious these problems aren't confined to these five homes, or that the system was operating properly until the pandemic hit.
Toronto, Peel Region and Windsor-Essex County were said to be the areas of greatest concern, though more detailed information was not made available to the public.
The province say it is taking immediate action to investigate some of Ontario's hardest-hit long-term care (LTC) homes, as a military report describes risky and unorganized conditions at some facilities.
The members of the Armed Forces who arrived on the scene were so disturbed by what they saw that they felt compelled to compile a report on the awful conditions present.
Testing is also up by about 50 per cent with the province reporting 15,133 tests processed since the last report, and since Premier Doug Ford announced anyone that wanted a test could get one, even without a symptom.
Officials have spoken of overworked and poorly paid staff in many facilities across Canada.
Serious medical incidents (such as a broken hip) not documented or reported.
At the request of Quebec and Ontario, the Canadian Armed Forces have been helping out at nursing homes, which overall have accounted for most of Canada's 6,566 deaths from COVID-19.
Ford said in his daily briefing Tuesday from Queen's Park police have been called in to investigate at least one case of neglect.
What does the report say?.
The Ontario government further recorded 19,958 cases were so far resolved but said 848 Ontarians were in hospital with 143 in intensive care units and 113 on a ventilator. The results of the investigation will be made public. "I take ownership, I take full ownership. but we're gonna make sure we fix it".
"We are looking at all options", Ford said.
"The public needs to see these reports", Ford said.
"Effective immediately, we have begun the process of taking over management at five additional homes in the system that we are now most concerned about", the premier said at a news conference Wednesday. "I'm going to be laser-focused on this".
"The health and safety of the residents and staff in our long-term care homes is our number one priority". But it is especially unsafe for older people and elder care homes in many parts of the world have been especially hard-hit by the pandemic. "This is a situation that has gone on for a long time, we need to take action as a country".
Ford, who said he had asked the Canadian Forces to extend its current mission in the homes for another 30 days, thanked the military for exposing the issues.