"Power concedes nothing without a demand". Washington received $500 million for its pandemic response, compared with the $1.2 billion the federal government accorded to each of the 50 states.
"Congress has two choices: it can continue to exercise undemocratic autocratic authority over" Washington, "or Congress can live up to this nation's promise and ideals and pass HR51", said the city's non-voting House delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton. "We're close to putting an end to this kind of anomaly".
All four members of the Arkansas delegation voted against making the district the nation's 51st state.
This time, the legislation had 227 co-sponsors - a majority in the House. Scott insisted he was open to amending his bill with changes proposed by Democrats. Only two persons voted against it: Justin Amash of MI, an independent member, and Collin Peterson of Minnesota, a Democrat who joined Republicans to reject the bill.
If the bill makes way, it will ban chokeholds and no-knock warrants related to drug cases.
The remaining part of Washington would become the 51st state, called the Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.
"We think it's very long overdue that residents of the District of Columbia, all good Americans, should have a vote in the House and in the Senate", House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said ahead of the vote.
In fiery speech, Scott had called out Democrats for blocking a vote and said, "Why wouldn't you take the 80% now, see if you can win the election and add on the other 20%". "This is middle ground, the status quo is". The president's control over federal law enforcement also enabled him to deploy heavily armed officers from various agencies across the city-again, without consulting local leadership. But the bill would wipe out the role of Congress in D.C.'s affairs.
"The Constitution clearly establishes a federation of sovereign states, [and] the representation here in Washington, D.C., comes from those states, the federation of those states".
In 2016, D.C. residents voted in favor of statehood, according to NPR.
"It does make a couple of key, new steps moving forward", said Rep. Anne Donahue (R-Northfield). Those two states originally gave up the land to create the District, though Virginia took its portion back.
"This is a pure political bill", Harris said.
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II (D-Mo.), a former CBC chairman, said that this time, lawmakers "cannot succumb to congressional timidity".
Nineteen Republican lawmakers did not vote. "All lives matter", said Rep. If the bill finally scales through all the hurdles, it will mean that the federal capital will be restricted to the White House, Capitol building, Supreme Court, and other federal buildings along the National Mall.
On Wednesday, US Senate Republicans failed to secure the 60 votes needed to advance their version of a police reform bill.
The group on Friday launched a website, whywecantwait.com, and digital ads. We were pleased to have them as Democrats, but we could not pass that bill. There is no representation in the Senate. "There's widespread ignorance in the country about these core matters of citizenship affecting their own capital".
"DC will never be a state", Trump told the New York Post.
"We're committed to dismantling police as we know it in the city of Minneapolis and to rebuild with our community, a new model of public safety that actually keeps our communities safe", Lisa Bender, the city council president, told me earlier this month on CNN's "Newsroom".