"Although this pet food recall is still unfolding, we are sharing the facts we have so far because the levels of aflatoxin found in the recalled pet food are potentially fatal", said FDA. The pet owner should remove the food and make sure no other animals have access to the recalled product.
The recalled pet foods were distributed nationally to both online distributors and at the retail store level, as confirmed by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
There were no reported illnesses in cats or people as of Wednesday.
High levels of the toxin - which can be present in the food even if there is no visible mold - could lead to illness and death in pets, the FDA said.
Aflatoxin is produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus, which can grow on corn and grains that are used as ingredients in pet food, the FDA said.
If a pet displays these symptoms, they should be seen by a veterinarian immediately, where their full diet history should be provided, including pictures of the pet food label they are being fed.
Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning in pets can include sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice (a sign of liver damage) and/or diarrhea, the FDA says.
Pet owners, however, are not thought to be at risk from handling the pet foods. All pet food bowls, cups, and storage containers that came in contact with the pet food should be sanitized. Either way, food recalls can prove to be extremely unsafe and this time it's not affecting your human family members but your furry friends instead.
The FDA is alerting pet owners of their ongoing investigation and says that they will disclose additional information as it becomes available by updating their initial release.