"Stay home, save lives, protect our healthcare system", Ontario Premier Doug Ford said at a press conference in Toronto.
"The message from the province is very clear today, Ontario's COVID numbers are going in the wrong direction - like many other jurisdictions around the world - and could very quickly get much worse meaning even more people becoming infected, even more people being hospitalized, and even more people tragically dying in our communities".
On Monday, the federal government published a vaccine delivery list, featuring forecasted shipment dates that outline exactly how many doses of each vaccine provinces and territories can expect, and when.
Public Health Ontario has reported more than 3,000 new cases of the virus almost every day this year so far.
As of 4 a.m. Tuesday, nearly 360,000 doses of vaccines had been administered in Canada, about two-thirds of the doses that have been shipped to Canada to date.
According to Health Canada, a total of 548,950 doses of the vaccines have been distributed across the country.
"Our health care system is on the brink of being overwhelmed and we must take every precaution to keep our most vulnerable safe", he said on Twitter. "We're at levels we've never seen before".
"Under this order, everyone must stay home and only go out for essential trips to pick up groceries or go to medical appointments", Ford said. "Increased contacts results from increase mobility", Health Minister Christine Elliott said.
Since the pandemic began the province has seen 1,533 confirmed cases of the virus and 65 deaths.
That data, released on December 21, showed that if COVID-19 case rates continued to grow between one to three per cent, the province would have 3,000 to 5,000 daily cases by the end of January. I'm asking one more time.
The measures come as cases continue to set new records and a new variant of the virus, which is at least 56% more transmissible, is spreading. This is consistent with the rules during the lockdown during the first wave of COVID-19 in spring 2020 and will allow individuals and families to enjoy time outdoors safely.
Quebec is reporting 1,869 new cases of COVID-19 and 51 more deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus, including 18 within the previous 24 hours.
Ontario has been in a province-wide lockdown since December 26 which has closed non-essential businesses, restaurants, and bars, with stricter limits on gatherings only permitting residents to see the people they live with.
Another 23 more people have also died, health officials confirmed, pushing the death toll to 1,307.
By January 20, the provincial Chief Medical Officer Health will make recommendations for schools in the remaining regions.
The latest spike in cases can be attributed in part to people gathering over the holidays, growing outbreaks in long-term care and retirement homes, and workplace outbreaks, Yaffe said.
It also reported 29 new deaths from COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of deaths reported to 5,012 since the start of the pandemic.