Players on three of the charter flights arranged by Australian Open organisers were told they must stay in their rooms for 14 days because of positive tests returned by a small number of those on the planes.
He posted on Instagram: "Australia, In light of recent media and social media criticism for my letter to Craig Tiley (Tournament director of the Australian Open), I would like to clarify a few things". When asked about the disparity of treatment of the 2 groups, he said that it is normal that top players are entitled to have better treatment after what they have achieved.
"I would like for us please to try to support each other as much as someone can or is willing to", she wrote.
The Australian Open 2021 bubble has been tough on players.
It is the latest blow to preparations for the year's first Grand Slam in Melbourne, which has already been delayed by three weeks due to the pandemic.
"Hence, I use my position of privilege to be on service as much as I can where and when needed". I've earned my privileges the hard way.
Kazakh player Yulia Putintseva - who earlier in the week said she would have reconsidered travelling Down Under if she had known ahead of time about the hard lockdown - tweeted videos appearing to show mice crawling on the floor of her hotel room.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion feels the picture painted by the media of the players as "ungrateful, weak and selfish" was not fair.
"I am very sorry that is has come to that because I do know how grateful many are".
"Both my coach and I are following the protocols designed by the Australian Government and Tennis Australia to avoid any risk and guarantee to compete again in a safe way".
"I have to say on that call there were about 500 players and the vast majority are happy to be here, pleased to be here and really getting ready in the next two weeks to be able to get out and play in the lead-in events and then play the Australian Open on February 8".
"It wasn't ever going to be realistic for us to do the 14-day quarantine for an event that goes for four days".
Tennis Australia chief executive Tiley said the safety of the Victorian community would not be compromised, but added the body was walking a "tightrope". "Despite commentary from players about what they'd like to do ... it's about what needs to be done".
Players continued to voice their discontent on social media, prompting a backlash from Australians, particularly those in Melbourne who endured one of the world's longest lockdowns in the latter months of previous year.