However, it was announced on Friday that the fight would no longer take place, with no explanation given at the time for the decision to drop Azaitar.
Confirming with MMA Junkie reporter, Farah Hannoun that Azaitar had been released from his UFC contract, UFC president, Dana White spoke with BT Sports reporter, Adam Catterall and detailed how Azaitar had broken the health and safety protocols, in rather freaky fashion it has to be said - resulting in his release.
"Now when security tried to stop him, he wouldn't stop, either way, and yeah, it's just. he's gone". You can view Dana White's full account of the events that led to Azaitar's release here. Ottman Azaitar, however, allegedly helped someone sneak into "Fight Island".
"He and his team cut their wristbands off and got them to people on the outside, one guy", White said. That guy taped them, showed up with a bag, went into a room, shimmied across four balconies, went into his room, dropped the bag off, changed his clothes, and then left.
Ottman Azaitar is yet to make a public comment on the incident and narrate his version of what happened.
He also wrote "Alhamdulillah (Thank God) for everything" as a caption, in an apparent confirmation that his journey with the UFC is over.
White claimed Azaitar and and his team cut off their wrist bands and gave them to someone outside the UFC's safe zone on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi ahead of Conor McGregor's return against Dustin Poirier this weekend. With Azaitar out, the fight is cancelled. White found out about it, and the fighter is no longer with the UFC. He was making his third UFC appearance since coming to the company from Brave CF in September 2019. The 30-year-old German competed once last year, knocking out Khama Worthy in the first round.
Ottman Azaitar made his professional MMA debut in 2014 in Germany.