South Africa's director of cricket Graeme Smith vented his frustration on Tuesday at Australia's decision to withdraw from next month's Test tour of the country due to the rampant spread of the coronavirus.
CA's interim chief executive Nick Hockley said travelling to South Africa posed "unacceptable" risk to the touring party.
"The Australian players were ready for the contest with South Africa, especially to support South African cricket at this time, with the added challenge of making the final of the ICC Test Championship".
Australia were supposed to play three Test matches in South Africa during the time of February-March, which would have been their final series as part of the WTC cycle, which is supposed to end this May, with the final taking place between the top two teams on the points table.
So, to be informed about the CA decision at the eleventh hour is frustrating'. Incidentally, South Africa is battling a second wave of COVID-19 and a new variant of the virus.
"This decision has not been made lightly and we are extremely disappointed, especially given the importance of continuing global cricket at this time, our valued relationship with CSA, and our aspirations to compete in the inaugural ICC World Test Championship", the statement added.
The final of ICC World Test Championship was originally scheduled to be played at the Lord's from June 10 but according to reports, it will now be played between June 18-22 at the same venue with a reserve day booked as well.
The Black Caps walking out to play Pakistan
Connellan said the player body would work with CA and CSA in "exploring new options for this series to be rescheduled".
'As hard and disappointing a decision as this is, especially for Justin (Langer), Tim (Paine) and the team, we have a duty of care to our people and their health and safety can't be compromised.
"This was set to be the longest tour in a BSE comprising a three-match Test series that was scheduled to begin with Australia's arrival later in the month".
South Africa also had to deal with a cancellation in early December when England withdrew from the ODI portion of its tour after a virus outbreak at the supposedly bio-secure Cape Town hotel where both teams were staying.
In addition to Smith's comments, CSA issued a statement in which it said every effort had been made to meet Australia's "changing demands", pointing out that a Test series against Sri Lanka and a current tour by the Pakistan women's team had been conducted without any problems.
Australia's chances in WTC were dented after their loss against India in the prestigious Border Gavaskar Trophy by 2-1.