The comments followed a violent day in which gunmen killed 16 people at a maternity clinic in Kabul and more than 20 died in a suicide bomb attack at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan, Reuters reported. Among the victims in the Afghan capital were newborns, their mothers and the nurses who had been supporting them both. A suicide bombing attack and ensuing gun battles killed at least 13 civilians, including 2 infants, and wounded at least 15.
"We note the Taliban have denied any responsibility and condemned both attacks as heinous", Pompeo said.
The Taliban have largely refrained from launching major attacks on Afghan cities since February, when they signed a deal with the United States meant to pave the way for peace talks with the Kabul government.
Islamic State were responsible for four other bombings in Kabul on Monday (May 11), which injured four people. Newborns breathe the first moments of life with the most horrific scenes. Afghanistan's security forces evacuated over 40 people from the clinic in Kabul, said interior ministry spokesperson Tariq Arian.
Ghani's move came months after Afghan forces pledged to only react defensively to Taliban's attacks since the deal was signed in the Qatari capital Doha. Clad in a helmet and flak jacket, assault rifle slung over his shoulder, the man can be seen handing the tightly swaddled infant to medics in the back of an ambulance.
The fate of the baby was not immediately clear.
Ali said he was watching TV when he heard about the hospital attack. She said the two foreign nationals residing there were safe but provided no further information.
Expressing similar sentiments Minister of Interior Massoud Andarabi who was present at the same meeting said, "We will prevent the Taliban's wish to settle the problem through military means". "It's tomorrow", said Shaharzad Akbar, chairperson of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission.
Enlarge this image
"The Taliban can not simply deny their involvement in violence, including the recent ones", Ghani's spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told reporters.
The World Health Organization recorded more than 100 attacks on doctors, nurses and hospitals in 2019.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the Kabul attack.
The Taliban have blamed the Islamic State group and elements of the government's intelligence units for the latest attacks. The US and Taliban have already agreed to an initial phase towards peace.
"I order all the security forces to end their active defence position, return to offensive postures, and resume their operations against the enemy", he said in a televised address.
Under the agreement, the Taliban promised not to target forces from the US-led coalition, but made no such pledge toward Afghan troops and have stepped up attacks in the provinces.
The forces of the internationally backed government had previously been reacting only defensively to Taliban attacks.
Mr Pompeo urged the Taliban and the Afghan government to co-operate to bring the perpetrators to justice.