The surrounding environment is favorable for development over the next few days and a tropical depression could form in the eastern Atlantic. That system is forecast to move westward, crossing the Bahamas and Florida on Friday and moving into the Gulf over the weekend.
Invest 96L has a 60% chance of tropical cyclone formation within the next five days and a 40% chance within the next 48 hours.
Over the last several days there's been mention of a push of tropical moisture getting into the Gulf and providing numerous Gulf states with rounds of rain starting this weekend and lasting into next week.
The NBC2 First Alert Hurricane Tracking Team continues to monitor an area of disturbed weather over the Bahamas this morning that will bring a surge of tropical moisture into south Florida this weekend.
On the forecast track, Paulette's centre should approach Bermuda by Sunday night or early on Monday.
Little change in strength is expected during the day today, but a gradual strengthening is expected to begin tonight or on Saturday, with Paulette expected to become a hurricane over the weekend.
Waves churned up from Paulette will affect the northern Leeward Islands today and then spread westward over the weekend to the Greater Antilles, the Bahamas, Bermuda and the southeast U.S. Atlantic coast.
These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Where are Tropical Storms Paulette and Rene?Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 205 miles (335 km) from the centre.
Rene is no longer expected to become a hurricane, but it could get stronger over the next few days before weakening again on Sunday, forecasters said.