The measures will be in effect as of midnight Wednesday night. Bars, restaurants, cinemas, museums and libraries in particular will be closed from October 1 to 28 in three regions, including the metropolis Montreal and the capital Quebec, which have passed the red alert threshold.
The Greater Montreal area (including Laval and the South Shore), the Quebec City area, and Chaudiere-Appalaches are all affected. "We can not wait for red alerts to happen".
Under the red alert, visitors to private homes are now banned, with exceptions for caregivers and contractors for work that was already planned.
Dr. Horacio Arruda, the province's director of public health, said he is "very worried" about the current situation, which he attributed to people growing relaxed about health measures such as physical distancing. Takeout is available for restaurants.
Also in the three red zones, gatherings in private residences are no longer permitted.
And while the situation may seem dire at this point, Legault said it's his belief that "we can change the trend in 28 days". The number of patients in hospital was also rising steadily, reaching 128, data showed.
Legault said schools will remain open, noting that about one per cent of the province's schoolchildren are at home after outbreaks in their schools.
Quebec's education minister has said that this will not affect schools - Quebec's schools will largely stay open no matter how bad the next wave of the pandemic gets, Jean-Francois Roberge said earlier this month.
Legault said he also spoke with government opposition leaders, and "and all members of the national assembly want us to win this fight against the pandemic".
Asked why he thought Quebec appears to be returning to where it was during the pandemic's first wave, Legault said he believes people let their guard down during the summer.
Quebec moved its two biggest cities into the maximum COVID-19 alert level on Monday, closing bars, cinemas and other gathering spaces for 28 days, as COVID-19 infections continued to rise.
Quebec reported 896 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, the province's highest single-day tally in months, and Health Minister Christian Dube said the increase in cases is primarily due to community transmission.
There are 247 people in hospital (an increase of 35), including 41 in intensive care (an increase of four).