All regions across the province of Ontario will be entering a sweeping shutdown as of April 3 to curb the spread of unsafe variants of concern, and that means new indoor and outdoor gathering limits will also come into effect. "This is a new pandemic; we're fighting a new enemy".
Restaurants can only offer delivery and take-out services in the shutdown zone and no indoor dining will be allowed. This includes prohibiting all indoor organized public gatherings and limiting outdoor gatherings to a five-person maximum, except for gathering with members of the same household.
Schools will remain open for in-person learning while spring break will still go ahead the week of April 12th.
Premier Doug Ford has announced a province-wide shutdown due to a surge in COVID-19 cases and intensive care admissions.
Personal care services are prohibited.
Requiring day camps to close.
Windsor is now in the red zone, the fourth tier of the Ontario COVID-19 Response Framework.
The medical officer of health for the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit Dr. Wajid Ahmed said Thursday he wasn't part of any of the provincial conversations about restrictions.
That assessment warned that COVID-19 is spreading far more quickly than it was before and "killing faster and younger", with a higher propotion of younger people being admitted to hospital intensive care units, and recommended a four-week stay-at-home order to reduce the spread of infections.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford watches a health-care worker prepare a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a University Health Network vaccine clinic in Toronto on January 7. "The most important thing to me is being reunited with my family", she said.
Limiting capacity at weddings, funerals, and religious services, rites or ceremonies to 15% occupancy per room indoors, and to the number of individuals that can maintain two metres of physical distance outdoors. But last week, the government gave the province's top doctor the power to use the "emergency brake" to shut down regions and enforce restrictions that would see most retail stores shut down and essential services remain open with capacity limits.
"We are not going to be producing a stay at home order because we saw that last time that it had tremendous ill effect on both children and adults, and especially with the warmer weather coming", said Elliott.
Of the new cases reported in Ontario, 67 per cent are the result of a variant of concern.
"They're all dealing with the effects of a third wave and a risky new variant", Ford says, adding the decision for the shutdown was "not made lightly".
Crawley writes that "the only difference between this and the current lockdown provisions now seen in some areas of the province appears to be the closure of patio dining and golf courses, alongside a limit of five people instead of 10 for outdoor gatherings". The province hit a new high on ICU patients on Wednesday.
The Premier said that it was not just Ontario that was in this situation, but that a third wave of the pandemic was sweeping North America.
The word shutdown was previously used to describe the stay-at-home measures implemented in the province after Christmas that led to a significant decrease in COVID cases.
The latest figures come as a provincewide shutdown takes effect across Ontario.